Google

Thursday, December 6, 2007

Oh my god, is this awful--The Paul Lynde Halloween Special

*** (out of 5)

Netflix: The Paul Lynde Halloween Special



My friend Harry warned me, but I had to see this 1976 car wreck on my own.

I gave it 3 stars because, a--it was good for what it was, a horrid '70s variety show;
and b--it had 3 songs by KISS.

But I would have thought with all the B-wattage star power that this would be a camp classic, but instead it was just bad.

Betty White, Pinky Tuscadero, Tim Conway, Florence Henderson---singing disco, Donny and Marie Osmond, Witchy Poo, The wicked witch of the west (Margaret Hamilton from the Wizard of Oz), apparently none of these people had any shame. And it was co-written by one of the biggest hacks in Hollywood, Bruce Vilanch, the man who writes all those awful Oscar jokes each year and is Whoopi Goldberg's main writer.

I remember loving Paul Lynde as a kid, but maybe my memories are misplaced. One lame joke after another. He plays the Easter Bunny, a rhinestone trucker, a Sheik. I looked up Wikipedia, under the phrase Gay Mistrel Show, it had a picture of Paul Lynde.

One tremendous douche chill after another, but what's worse is it made me sleepy.

The entire cast finishes the show with a Halloween disco scene where they all sing and dance to a made up song, Disco Boogie. Excuse me, I have to shower now and wash all the bad thoughts away.

The Freditor

No comments: